Monday, December 24, 2012

The World in which we live


NEWTOWN, Conn. -- At the very start of their lives, the schoolchildren are remembered for their love of horses, or for the games they couldn't get enough of, or for always saying grace at dinner. The adult victims found their life's work in sheltering little ones, teaching them, caring for them, treating them as their own. The gunfire Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School left a toll both unbearable and incalculable: 20 students and six adults at the school, the gunman's mother at home, and the gunman himself.
Friday December 14 when I flipped on the TV every station was filled with this horrific news of a school shooting.  Maddie and Garen were at school at the time and I couldn't help but imagine my own children in the same situation; huddled together helpless as a maniac with no soul, heart, or mind opened fire.
I can't help but feel sad and a bit scared will I think about this world we live in and the daunting task of teaching our children and keeping them safe.

To make matters worse the following Wednesday rumors were spreading quickly that some Rock Springs High School kids were planning (or at least talking about) doing their own shooting.  I was hesitant to send my kids to school, but they wanted to go and I knew the security at the schools had been increased.  I imagine that those thoughtless teenagers were just trying to get attention and I hope someday they realize the disrespect and fear they caused.  On Friday Dec. 21st, I headed to the kids' school to help with their Christmas parties.  I was met at the front doors by 2 police officers, the principal, the school counselor  and about 6 other adults.  They weren't messing around.  After a more intensive sign in process I made it to Maddie's locked classroom.  Her party was combined with other 4th grade classes because there was 192 kids missing from school that day.  The kids enjoyed their class parties and thought it was kind of fun to only have a few kids at school.  Maddie like that she got to do the gingerbread houses they planned to do in her class and also the ornaments that were planned for another class because of the small number of kids.
Although I am grateful that the school will now have stricter security as a more permanent thing I feel sad that my kids have to have this as a normal thing in their lives.  I feel said that my Kindergartner has to practice lock down drills every month and we have to explain why they are practiced and why their are police officers in the school and why they keep the door locked.
It is a scary world that we live in but I know these are things we must live through until Christ comes again and I and my family look forward to that day!

"Our prayers will be heard when all around the prayers of the wicked will be in vain" -Paul B. Young

No comments: