Sunday, February 12, 2012

It's a Jungle around here


Friday there was no school and I was determined to get things back under control in the house. Our weeks have been busy and I haven't been feeling well and end up using all my cleaning energy and motivation on getting the preschool cleaned and set up each week. So the rest of the house has suffered. I started out upstairs doing some much needed laundry and teaching the kids how to properly do the chores on their list. By the time I made it down stairs the kids had built a 'jungle'. A jungle made out of every chair, every blanket, every pillow, and every stuffed animal in the house! I couldn't even get into the family room without climbing over chairs. They were so proud of their creation that I just let it go.
Tired of trying to get things cleaned up I decided to take a break to read my YW lesson that I was to teach on Sunday. I open it up and what is the topic....Homemaking!!! I almost wanted to cry, I was already feeling very inadequate at my housekeeping skills and feeling like each day we are in survival mode. I read the lesson and did feel guilty as I read things like the spirit can't preside in a chaotic messy house and the importance of keeping things clean and orderly. But as I read more about making your home a place where your family can escape from the evils of the world I felt peace and comfort. In the middle of my messy room with 8 loads of laundry left to fold and the entire downstairs torn apart and the kids playing loudly, I felt the spirit.
I learned there is a difference between homemaking and housekeeping, and although both are important one can take precedence over the other and Heavenly Father will not think less of you.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

That is beautiful. I am so glad you wrote it and shared. That will be a lesson that you can look back on and draw strength from. It was good for me to read today!