Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Happy Birthday Dan!!!

My big brother Dan turns 40 today!  Glad I have some pictures of us when I was little since I can't remember to many things about my younger years with him since we are 11 years apart.  





Here are some of the memories I wrote up to go in a book for his birthday:
Memories of Danny
One of my earliest memories was the scared to death feeling I would have as I would run up the basement stairs as fast as I could with you right on my tail chasing me making crazy noises.  Also you sliding around on your back through the kitchen trying to catch me.  I think this is why I have dreams that I am being chased all the time and it’s terrifying.
I loved playing buddy monster even though I don’t think I ever made it to the front door.  I loved when you would bounce me above the trees on the trampoline.  I even loved running down the hall while you threw pillows at me even though I think I got hurt several times. 
I remember riding home with you from somewhere in the brown van; just you and me.  I got to ride in the front seat and I felt so privileged to be your helper.  It was dark and you were really tired.  You had me open a jar of pickles and get them out with my bare hands (something mom would never let me do) so you could stay awake.  Somewhere along the way we lost a hub cap and you pulled over and we looked for it in the dark for a bit but didn’t find it.  I remember thinking it was funny; I don’t think you thought it was.
I still laugh to myself when I think of you wearing mom’s silky pajamas and pretending to be Jasmine turning and saying ‘I’m not a price to be won.’  Or when I think of you wearing mom’s big glasses and saying ‘the kitty scratched Danny’
I remember when you student taught at my Junior High when I was in 9th grade.  All my friends liked you and you never came home and told mom and dad how annoying I was or that you saw me sitting in the hall because I got kicked out of class. 
I remember being so excited when you came home on my birthday and threw me a giant water gun.  I actually had it until just a couple years ago when it broke.
Having older siblings that chose to go on missions, get married in the temple, and live righteously made it so much easier to make good choices in my life.    Thank you for always being a brother that I can look up to and try to follow your example; and of course for always making me laugh!

Happy 40th Birthday!!!


No comments: