Friday, July 13, 2012

Our Anniversary

I know a 10 year celebration is expected to be big and grand but things like a job, money, and a 5 week old baby change your priorities.  Andy and I will have our tropical getaway (hopefully sooner than later) but now is not convenient.  So Andy worked all day, I took the kids to the Summer movie.  After the kids went to bed Andy and I ordered Chinese food and just hung out.  
You know we are still in love after 10 years when we enjoy a quiet evening together at home and don't need the trip or the fancy dinner to reflect on the last decade.
Before Andy got home from work I wrote a little memory from every year from 2002-2012 and stuck it inside a balloon labeled with that year.  Andy got to pop them all to read my notes.
I found this note waiting for me when I woke up.  The thing I love about Andy's notes is that he doesn't need a special occasion to write me one.  I find them often written on a sticky note stuck to the computer with sweet words, thank yous for things I do, silliness, and stick figure muscle men drawn on them.  
I consider myself pretty independent and capable of accomplishing things on my own, but I don't know what I would do without Andy!  He's there to listen to the kids stories and hold a crying child when I just don't have the patience anymore.  Our parenting styles are so different but with the same goal in mind so I think we really even each other out.  I like to go and do productive things with the kids all day long.  I like to keep them busy and learning something new.  Andy likes to sit with them one on one and talk quietly about one topic for long periods of time.  He lets them all tackle him at once and he lets them in on all his hobbies (where I like to just go by myself to do the things I enjoy), like take them to play basketball and let them sit and watch highlights with him.  He will explain all the rules and parts of the game.  He takes them fishing, lets them help with any fixit project or cooking..
I don't know what I would have done without Andy to hold me and give me a blessing on those horrible nights during and right after pregnancy where I had so many complications and I was just in pain, frustrated, tired.  I am so grateful for his genuine love he shows me.  Even in the hospital right after the baby was born and my hips hurt so badly I couldn't stand or walk, get dressed or step into the shower.  I was miserable and incapable and fat and tired; and when Andy was helping me I could see the sincere love in his eyes and even though I felt like I couldn't even love myself I knew he loved me without a doubt.
I'm so glad I found this amazing man, husband and father!  Here's to 60+ more years together on Earth and for all Eternity after that!!!


No comments: