Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bad luck comes in 3's sometimes 4's

Every time something trying happens, I just brace myself for whatever will come my way next. Difficult things never come one at a time, at least not with me. I really learned this a couple years back. It was two weeks before I graduated from college, a pipe broke in our house and the basement was a wet mess; same day I locked myself out of the house and broke a window trying to climb back in. A couple days later the rivers overflowed and filled our basement and first floor with water-we spent the next 3 months living out of a trailer and redoing everything. But we found the hidden blessings in those trials.

Don't worry, no flood this time. Last week Andy needed to get his truck inspected so he could register it by Oct. 31st. Of course he waited till the last day thinking all would be well. But the poor old truck was not passing material, so $850 later the truck was fixed and registered.

That same night I was going to wash the kids' Halloween costumes that had gotten very dirty the day before Halloween. And the washer that we have never had any problems with, decided to stop working. I hand washed the costumes and called a repair man the next day. No big deal, just a little sock stuck in the pump.

We payed the repair man and then the car started to act up. The car would shake when I would reach a speed of 40 or more. I finally took it in today and came out with a small list of things that must be fixed or the car is dangerous to drive! Of course they are things we can't afford, but that is life and it just always seems to work out no matter what.

And to top it off- I finally took Garen to the doctor after 2 weeks of not feeling very well and on-again-off-again fevers and found he has a sinus infection. He got put on an antibiotic (which was knocked off the counter today and spilled most of it on the floor, so we will be returning to the doctor tomorrow to buy some more).

Sometimes I think, wouldn't life be so much easier and better if we had more money-but it wouldn't be. There will always be something we can't afford and it will always be those material things that only bring worldly comfort and happiness, not eternal comfort and happiness. It kind of stinks when things go wrong and make life more hectic, but how boring would life be if nothing unexpected ever happened?! Even after my blog of complaining, I really do feel lucky (or as my dad would put it-blessed). I have such a wonderful, loving, supporting husband, two wonderful children, a great place to live, wonderful family and friends surrounding us, and of course the knowledge and guidance of this wonderful gospel. (I could list a thousand more blessings but I think I have rambled on enough).

5 comments:

Ben and Sara said...

Hopefully, you'll get a break from trials for the Holidays.

Alisha Wilkins said...

You are the best example of faith ever! You never let these trials get to you and you just keep going. You are so wonderful! Hope things get better and Garen is back to his ol' self again! :)
luv ya tons!

Robnz Fam said...

I totally agree with Lish, you keep on going and going. Think of the pink bunny :0). Sounds like you need a girl's night out...let's go to the movies ;0). Love ya Em!

Robnz Fam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
suz young said...

You didn't know that the little motto you put on top of your graduation cap "You're fine" would carry you through so many experiences. You never complain, and say "I'm fine" no matter how bad it gets. It is a great attitude of strength and determination. And to count your blessings adds to overcoming trials. Things always work out and it is more bearable when we don't whine--just say I'm fine. Thanks for your example.