Thursday, September 25, 2008

Minnesota Trip

Saturday
My sisters, their boys, my dad, and I headed out in the afternoon for our long drive to Minneapolis. We took a break at Martin's Cove (a place the pioneers tried to take cover from the cold and several died) and saw Devil's gate. It was a neat place and gave us a chance to stretch our legs and let the boys run around.

The rest of the trip we only stopped for gas and bathrooms and for some breakfast in the morning. We arrived at my grandparents house at 12:00 on Sunday (20 hours after we left). The trip went really well considering the 2 pregnant people and the 2 toddlers. Luckily my dad is amazing and can drive for hours with no sleep!
Devil's gate-

Colton and Joren-


In the Martin's cove visitor center-

Sisters-


Sunday
My sisters and I went with my mom and aunts to dress my grandmother's body. This is the first time I saw her so it was incredibly hard for me, but I'm glad I went and got to have that quiet spiritual time with her.

I really don't know how people that lack the knowledge of life after death can get through times like these. Although I felt such sadness and emptiness with her absence I felt an overwhelming peace and even happiness in it's place because I know without a doubt that she is perfect and happy and I will see her again in a short season.

Sunday night several of my cousins and aunts and uncles were over late with us at grandpa's house and we enjoyed our time talking together since we don't see each other very often.

Monday
This day was just filled with family and my amazing mom coordinating every aspect of the funeral arrangements.

In the evening was the viewing. I was glad to see so many people come and everyone smiling and sharing memories.

Afterwards, I went out for awhile with some of the cousins and again we had a bunch of family over at grandpas' up late talking. My grandpa would walk around the house and point out grandma's shoes or what they would have been doing just then. He is such a sweet man and he will be incredibly lonely without his wife of 62 years.
Grandpa and some of the grand kids-

My grandma loves pink-

Tuesday
This morning there was another viewing followed by the family prayer and the closing of the casket. It was so hard to say goodbye one more time and to watch my mom, her siblings, and my grandpa say their goodbyes.

The funeral was beautiful! There were some amazing things said about grandma's accomplishments, her humor, and her life. The closing song was a recording of my grandmother singing and playing amazing grace-it was nice to hear her voice and incredibly touching.
The Funeral program-




Next we went to the cemetery where my dad did a wonderful job dedicating the grave.
Then there was a luncheon at the church that the ward relief society did a fabulous job with. It looked beautiful and the food was great.




Grandpa Mel and I-

Grandpa and his grand kids-


my family-

We went back to grandpa's house and I soaked in all the memories of grandma and that house before we had to leave. I got to take with me a few pieces of grandma's jewelry collection which I will cherish.
The days went by to quickly and I was sad to say goodbye to my cousins, the house, and especially my grandpa. We left about 7pm for the long ride home.
Cousins oldest to youngest (John, Dan, Danette, Sadie, Mandy, Denise, Nikki, Sara, Emily, Ben, Darianne)-

Grandpa and his kids-

Wednesday

We stopped at Independence rock (one of the main landmarks for the Oregon Trail, Martin Handcart co. and other pioneers) for a little while on our way home so the boys could run around a bit. And we ended up getting to my house at about 2pm (about 18 hours from when we left). It felt good to be home and the past few days are kind of a daze that seem like faded memories or a dream.
I'm so glad my dad made it possible for us girls to go! He was an incredibly patient man to drive almost the whole time, have no sleep, stop way to often for me to use the bathroom, and to listen to little boy whining. Thanks Dad!
And I'm so glad Jann (Andy's mom) took such great care of my kids while I was gone.

My brothers John and Dan-and family- stopped in at my house later in the night for a break from their travels and some food. It was fun to see them for a little while longer. While I was making the food and Maddie was waiting for her cousins she went and got Grandma Vonnie's CD and listened to her favorite yodeling songs. It was cute to hear Maddie trying to sing along with grandma. And also hard for me to make dinner with wet eyes.
Colton and my dad at Independence rock-

Joren climbing the rock-

5 comments:

Johnsons said...

I'm so glad that you went and were able to have that time with your family. I'm sure your grandpa appreciated it...your grandma too.

SAYDA said...

It sounds like your grandma was extra special. You are so lucky to have known someone like her. The memories will last forever. I'm glad you were with family and your grandpa at this time.
Sayda

Robnz Fam said...

What a bitter-sweet trip Em! How neat that all you cousins could be together, and your mom and her siblings. Your grandma Vonnie was such a great person, so loved by so many friends and family members. Do you remember when I went up to her and said, "are you the one that can yuddule?". Wow...anyway, I'm glad you had a safe trip, two pregnant and two toddlers! And that didn't suprise me about your dad, it seems like you told me he could always drive through the night. That's amazing. Are you still coming to Utah now?

Alisha Wilkins said...

Carrol nailed it, bitter sweet. Wonderful that the family got together, sad it was due to the loss of a loved one.

The pictures are great.

suz young said...

Thanks again for coming Emily--I am so grateful Andy has wonderful parents who support you and helped so much being there to watch over things when you hopped in with dad and sisters to do the marathon driving. It was so special to have you all there.