Tuesday, May 26, 2009

COULD THERE BE A WORSE TIME TO WALK OUT OF WALMART?

I just have to share my story from last week.

I ran to walmart to grab some things we needed. When we got there is was 83 degrees outside and sunny. The kids were in shorts and no jackets. It took us about an hour to get everything.

In the checkout line we started hearing very loud, building shaking thunder. Sophie was crying, Garen was spinning the grocery bag thing around so the lady couldn't get the stuff in the bags. Then I checked my phone for the time-3:20! I had ten minutes to finish checking out load my car and the kids and make it to Maddie's school to pick her up!

We book it to the front doors where several people are just standing there. When I got through the people, I found out why they were all standing there. It was pouring rain! I mean soak you to the bone in 3 seconds kind of rain. There was lightning and the wind was blowing like crazy. I didn't have a choice but to run for it! Of course the van was not close (it never is at Walmart). I covered Sophie with her blanket, picked up Garen and just ran. As my hair whipped in my face, my soaked shirt clung to my skin, my makeup smeared, and my flip flop covered feet dripping, we ran to the van.
It didn't stop there-we got to the van but of course I couldn't just jump in. I put the kids in, buckled them up and then proceeded to put all the bags (which were filled with water) in the back.

When I finally got in the van I felt like some one had just dumped two of those huge drink coolers on me after winning a big game. All I could do was laugh. My laughter make Garen's worried wet face turn into a smile as well.

We got to Maddie's school just in time. And of course, it was no longer raining. I got out of the van to get Maddie, who then looks at me and says. "Why are you so wet, it's not even raining?!"

Great story right-well it didn't end there. We got home and had approximately 10 minutes to unload the groceries and put them away, feed Sophie, change my clothes, and get Maddie's swimming suite on to make it to swimming lessons!
We were late, but we made it out the door. As I pulled away I pushed the button for the garage door to close, and off it goes slipping off the runners and the top corner falling in! I just drove away trying to forget about it.

Then after lessons, Garen just decided he had enough of walking. So all the way from the locker room, down the hall, up a bunch of stairs, through the front doors, down a bunch of stairs, across the street, and into the parking lot I carried crying Sophie in her car seat and 36 pound whining Garen in the other arm. Lets just say I was wet again when we got to the van, but not from the rain this time.
It was just one of those days that having 3 kids just isn't that fun.

5 comments:

suz young said...

You made me tired just reading that. You're tough! I remember days like that and so have all young mothers. It's just something we do in that time of life, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier. The sad thing is the kids don't really realize those sacrifices or how hard it is until they experience the same thing as parents. That's okay.

Alisha Wilkins said...

This was great! I could just hear you laughing as you got in the van soaking wet!
Great memory to tell to the kids when they are older and need reminding what you go through with them! :)

Johnsons said...

Ugghh! I love that Maddie was confused about you being wet.

Lyndsey said...

Haha. That's a sad and really funny story! Especially since i grew up in wyoming..... the weather there has crazy mood swings! My first year of girl's camp... we got snowed out... it was june!

dersley said...

Oh man, Emily. It is a funny story for the rest of to read, but probably not one of your favorite mommy moments. I love that the rain stopped as soon as you were all safely in the car.

My family almost went to flamming gorge for memorial day weekend (instead we went to the Uintas). That would have been funny if we ran into you there. Looks like you had a really fun day.