Friday, December 19, 2008

Jaundice

We took Sophie into the doctor for a check up yesterday and it turns out her Jaundice level is really high. They want it to be below 9 and hers is 18. So we have a belilight vest we must keep her on 24 hours. Today her level had gone down to 16, and hopefully it will be way down by Monday. So on top of the normal demands of a newborn I have to keep the light on her and try and get her to eat every hour. But through it all she is being such a good baby. She's easy to soothe and she is so fun to watch.


Maddie has taken over the care of Garen. She loves acting like his mom when I am in the middle of feeding the baby.
While my parents were here, Maddie and Garen were both sleeping in Garen's room. After they woke up in the morning I went in the room to find all of Garen's bedding off his bed and next to Maddie's sleeping bag. I asked Maddie about it and she said Garen was afraid of a shadow in his room so she had him sleep next to her. Despite all of Maddie's and Garen's fighting they really love each other and help each other!



Maddie also had her school Christmas party today. I was sad that I missed it. I've been to all her other school activities, but with Andy at work and a new baby, it just didn't work out this time. But she was super excited to show me all the things she made and all the presents she got in her stocking from her classmates.


The hardest adjustment for me so far is being able to find time to put the baby down by herself and sit and do something with Maddie and Garen. I feel the need to take care and be close to Sophie all the time, but I have to remember that it is Maddie and Garen that will remember our time together right now, not Sophie. So tonight while Sophie sat on her light, the kids and I played with play dough.


Garen is really warming up to Sophie. He still doesn't want to hold her, but he talks about her all the time and loves to point out her little nose, ears, mouth, etc. The day we brought her home, Garen looked at her and said, "that's not a puppy, that's a baby." I guess he was expecting a puppy or something. But, Garen has been incredibly good the last few days. He plays quietly by himself for hours with his blocks, puzzles, and cars. It is so nice!
And friends in the ward have been bringing dinner in each night, which is so nice for me. The food has been great and I love not having to worry about dinner yet.
I can't believe Christmas is like 5 days away! Where has the year gone? I am so excited for Christmas though, it is my favorite holiday and I just love watching the kids excitement and spending the day with them playing with their new things. And we have a special bonus this year having Sophie here for Christmas.



Last night we gave Sophie her first sponge bath. She hated it!


a little sleeping smile-

Here's a little video of Sophie. I know she isn't doing much, but it's cute anyway.

6 comments:

Alisha Wilkins said...

Oh the billi light! I hated that thing, but Parker slept so well all nice and warm on it :) Hope it goes away quick!

I LOVE how Garen thought you were going to bring home a puppy! That is sooooo funny!

Someone told me the same thing right before I had Parker: Take care of the older ones first, they understand and have the ability to get jealous. The baby won't remember being neglected for a couple minutes :)

You guys have the cutest kids!

Johnsons said...

I'm sorry Sophie has jaundice. Levi sure hated getting poked and I hated hearing him cry. But that blanket is awesome. We had the bed and Levi wasn't too fond of it; the blanket looks nicer. Glad everyone is adjusting.

Nate Sarah Cooper and Hank said...

Emily Congrats on your beautiful baby girl! I have been at my families house and just checked your blog. She is adorable. I hope everything is going well and you are adjusting to life with 3! Congrats again

suz young said...

Boy do I miss that sweet little spirit! Sophie radiates just being with Heavenly Father. She is so serene and seems to like it here on earth. Wish the road between Burley and Rock Springs wasn't so snow ridden and long.

Jenni said...

That picture of Sophie's sleep smile is so precious. What a beautiful baby you have. And you are such an amazing mother.

B-la said...

So cute! I love these pictures. My kids are looking with me, and they keep asking me when we are going to your house!

Maddie is as cute as ever. She is such a funny girl. I miss her.

Garen is so handsome! He really is growing! I love the picture in the soccer shirt - he really does look like Danny.

And Sophie of course is a darling!

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!