Monday, December 10, 2007

Guardian Angels

Andy was being such a wonderful husband and was willing to take Maddie to preschool for me even though he would be a little late for work. Garen was still napping and I was running behind on the things I needed to get done.
They left and about 5 minutes later I got a call. Andy and Maddie had been in an accident!
A semi truck that was in front of Andy had pulled into the median so he could make a wide right turn onto a small side road. The man did not put his right blinker on and Andy had no idea he was turning right. Andy moved to the slow traffic lane, furthest from the semi and kept driving just as the Semi turned. They both slammed on their brakes and then smashed right into each other.
Andy's truck is completely totalled and the semi wasn't in very good shape either. The accident wasn't far from my house, I grabbed Garen and drove over there. And you can imagine my fear as I drive up to 6 police officers, an ambulance, a fire truck and a semi truck taking up two of the highway lanes. Then Andy's poor truck almost in the ditch and totally smashed up!
I drove around the backed up traffic and told the police officer who I was. He pointed me to the ambulance where my dear husband and sweet baby were.
I got in the ambulance and Maddie was snuggled up close to Andy holding a teddy bear they gave her. They were taking her vitals. Thanks to their guardian angels they were both unharmed. Maddie had a small kind of burn line across her stomach were the seat belt had held her, but she didn't hurt anywhere else. (but we are suppose to watch for signs of whiplash in the next couple days). Andy had hurt is back playing basketball about a week ago, so that injury was now more severe.
But after the tow trucks came (they had to tow the semi too) and Andy filled out all the police reports and things we headed home. Andy got right into the chiropractor and decided against going to work today and Maddie was a little upset about missing preschool.
I am just glad I got to take them both home instead of head to the hospital! Later, Andy went to get his things out of his truck and the car guy was very surprised to hear no one was seriously injured after seeing both vehicles.
The accident made me realize how fast things can change. I realized how quickly I sent Maddie out the door because they were going to be late, instead of giving her the usual hug and kiss. What if I didn't get that chance again!? Like Andy's dad said, "Cars are replaceable, these important people that mean so much to us are not."
It felt weird moving on with the rest of the evening- going visiting teaching, and making dinner- when it could have so easily been a day that would have changed my whole life. I realize now how much I take life and each day's experiences for granted.
Well, we are now a one car family, so if anyone out there has an extra vehicle lying around, you know where to send it :) j/k
I hope everyone has a great night and enjoy your families!
Andy's truck damage-
The Semi-

7 comments:

Jenni said...

I can't believe how smashed up your truck is and that nobody was hurt. I got teary eyed reading this entry, It reminded me of our wreck a month ago. It stinks that even though it wasn't your fault you still have to deal with the problem, the costs, and much much worse if someone had been hurt. Getting in a wreck is never fun but I'm glad you are able to see the positive in it.

suz young said...

How precious your family is and we are so grateful for the guardian angel that protected them. It is a reality check for us all. People are so much more important than things. I was so touched to hear Maddie singing "Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer" in the back ground tonight. What a lovely happy sound. We love you!

Alisha Wilkins said...

So I totally started to cry about 2 seconds into this entry! Oh My Goodness! How scarey and I am so GLAD to hear everyone is okay and unharmed!

Nate Sarah Cooper and Hank said...

I am so sorry to hear about Andys truck. I am so glad no one was hurt. Be careful I want to see you when I come home for christmas.

Ben and Sara said...

We are so glad everything turned out alright. Even my neighbor Karen and her little girl Kate were asking about Maddie today. I hope Andy's back is feeling better. I think it us pretty hard especially since it's Christmas time and living farther from home for a couple months how important our families are and how quickly things can change. We are blessed with some many things!

Robnz Fam said...

That's is so horrible, but such a huge blessing at the same time! I'm so so sorry to hear this! I'm so glad your guardian angels are watching over you and your family.

Nicole said...

I'm glad Andy and Maddie were ok. I appreciate your thoughts on taking time to let the ones who matter most know what they mean to us. I hope you've been able to enjoy your week, and again, I am glad that the damage wasn't worse than it was.