Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July

I hope everyone had a wonderful time celebrating Independence day. Our neighbors invited us to the neighborhood BBQ. There were plenty of kids for Maddie and Garen to play with and we had an enjoyable time. But we quickly found out we are the oddballs in the neighborhood. Out of the 15 or 20 people that were their, we were the only ones without a beer in hand. So it kinda made for an interesting 4th of July.

Everyone quickly noticed we were not drinking and they were fine with that, but they couldn't see why we wouldn't and they really could not believe that we never have before. One guy just kept saying, "you're lying, there is no way you've never had a drink." It was funny as the night went on, instead of the guys thinking we were crazy for not drinking they started making excuses for themselves saying 'this is not an everyday thing, I don't drink that often.' Never once did we judge them or say anything but yet they felt like they needed to act a little better around us.

We went to the firework show, but it was hard to tell when the actual show was starting because everyone around was lighting of huge fireworks, similar to the ones in the show.

Everyone was so nice, and no one was to drunk to do or say anything to stupid. I'm just glad are kids are to young to notice. It was kind of odd seeing the young mothers with a newborn baby in one arm and a beer in the other. We've realized now that we are no longer in our safe, prominently Mormon, cache valley.
Although these neighbors are all great and fun to hang with we are hoping to find some friends at church on Sunday.

Maddie and Garen ready for fireworks-




And a special Happy Birthday to my sister Sara today!!! I hope you get to do something fun on your 27th birthday!!!

4 comments:

Melissa Hernandez said...

I knew you were going to make new friends so quick!! I am glad you had a fun 4th!! You will have to post pictures of your new house once it's all unboxed. I hope everything is going well. p.s. did you know that the "For Sale" sign got taken down as soon as you left, and the guy put up a "For Rent" sign, and I don't think it was there for more than 3 days. Cool!!

Melissa Hernandez said...

I had to tell you that yesterday the new people moved into your house. I was on my morning walk with Isabella so I stopped to say "hi". It's a single lady with 2 teenage daughters. They are really sweet. But, it was really weird walking into their house and knowing that you guys weren't there anymore, it was kind of a weird feeling to see new furniture in your place. Ask Andy if he remembers Shauna Thain from high school. It's her aunt and cousins that moved in. Small world!!

Mandi said...

Ok, so your post made me laugh. I had a similar experience when we moved to Michigan. We went to a BBQ and they were offering drinks to everyone, and it seemed like everyone was smoking. I was in shock. Then we went out to dinner and they asked Smoking or Non? I wasn't even sure how to answer the question!!!! Thank goodness for church on sunday. We love all of our friends here, but there is something about the ones that we share the same values! I hope that church went well for you!

Robnz Fam said...

I love seeing pics of Maddie and Garen! Miss ya all :0)!!!!