Sunday, June 1, 2008

Birthday Weekend


Well, what a great weekend it has been!!! First of all my parents and my sister Mandy and her kids came on Friday night to see Maddie's ballet recital. Maddie did so well and she loved having so many family members there to watch her. Her cousin Kaisa watched her so closely and was the first to give her a hug and tell her how good she did.

Andy brought Maddie a flower, which I must say was all his idea!-
Maddie and Kaisa-
Maddie and the proud grandparents-
Maddie and the proud parents-
Maddie's class, shes the third one in from the left-

This video is part of her dance at the rehearsal. I used the video camera at the recital and I don't know how to download from that-


Then Saturday morning was spent cooking, cooking, and more cooking. Thank goodness my mom and sister were there to help me prepare for Maddie's Hawaiian Luau 5th birthday party!

My final count of people that attended her birthday was 54! But it was a hit. For dinner we had Hawaiian haystacks and ham and pineapple skewers. Then for entertainment we had a pinata, making necklaces, decorating surfboards, water balloon volleyball, and limbo. We topped it off with a volcano cake, a flower cake, and blue water cupcakes.
Maddie stood there with a huge smile on her face as the whole group sang Happy Birthday too her! She loved it!

It was fun to have so much family there and Maddie enjoyed every minute of it! I set out a little notebook at the party for everyone to sign so Maddie could remember everyone that came to her special day. I read it to her before she went to bed-it was very special!

I asked Maddie what her favorite part was and she said it was unwrapping presents and throwing water balloons at people! Maddie's real birthday is actually on Monday and we will be going swimming at the big pool.

Here are some pictures, I'll have to get more from my mom's camera. I didn't get near as many shots as I wanted to because it was so crazy busy-






Then today, Sunday, we rushed to get ready for church on time and prepare my lesson at the last minute. We made it to church just 10 minutes late. When church got out at noon we headed straight to Clarkston where Andy and his family were having a lunch get together before all his cousins headed back to Boise/Arizona. When we finally got home Garen was long overdue for a nap, Andy was running late for work and I was left with piles of stuff that needs to be put away from yesterdays party. And Maddie's birthday isn't even till tomorrow! :) It really was a very enjoyable, eventful weekend and we are blessed to have so many loved ones near!

The kids at the luncheon-


8 comments:

Alisha Wilkins said...

Happy Birthday Maddie!

Wow! 54! What a great turnout! Looks like a good time!
Give her a BIG hug from me for the big day!

Jenni said...

You are such an amazing mom. I seriously want to be like you. It's like you're Super Mom. You throw a party for over 50 people for your daughters birthday, you make sure she is the cutest little ballerina ever, and then you're taking her to the pool tomorrow. And on top of all that you still have time to take the fam to a family luncheon. Seriously, how do you do it all?

dersley said...

Wow! I am impressed. You are such a good mom and party host. It would scare me to try to entertain and feed that many people. Happy birthday to Maddie! It sounds like she has already had a great time celebrating.

Madelyn said...

Maddie is so cute! And wow, you went all out at the party, so sweet.

Nicole said...

It looks like it was a hit! Sorry I didn't make it over. I was only in Logan for about 1 1/2 hours for the little dinner and then I had to make it back for Aidan's dinner. :) Sad I missed seeing you. I hope you're feeling good! XO

Robnz Fam said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADDIE!! I can't believe you are FIVE today! What a fun bday party for you!! Happy birthday to you and many, many, many more sweetie!

Em, what can I say...you are truly amazing. :0)

suz young said...

Emily, you need to be a party planner! I sent you more pictures and there are some real gems in there especially with Maddie in her sunglasses and lais around her and on her head along with her hollywood presence. I couldn't believe how you kept everything going from one activity to another. The Hawaiian music and the volcano cake (good red sucker lava, Brenda) and even ham and pineapple skewers barbequed (good job Andy) added to the Hawaiian Island atmosphere. I was so glad we could come! The dance recital was also very entertaining, so we were blessed to see Kaisa's in Boise last week and then Maddie's a week later. It all makes us smile thinking about it.

Janette said...

Wow, you guys have been super busy. What a fun birthday party. She is such a cutie, I can't believe she's already five.